The fourth international Light Moves Festival of Screendance symposium announces its open call for papers and presentations entitled Screendance Through the Senses. The symposium sits within a festival and encourges artistic and scholarly exchange, debate and discussion in screendance and related disciplines including performance, dance, film, visual arts, sound and text.
The 2017 symposium invites screendance makers, spectators, advocates, and academics to examine the forms and approaches that enable this field’s diversity and vibrancy. We particularly welcome presentations that are discursive and interactive including workshop type formats, group/panel discussions, demonstration events, as well as paper presentation formats.
This year, Light Moves is pleased to announce that its Call for Papers and Presentations may benefit from the opportunity of publication in collaboration with the International Journal of Screendance. To that end, particularly strong responses to the call will be offered the opportunity to further develop their work for potential publication in a special volume (or section of volume) of the IJSD in April/May 2019.
Papers and project presentations may include but are not limited to the following areas:
1. Structures, orthodoxies and strategies.
- Balance and exchange: Situating choreography and performance within (and in contrast to) film-production cultures and conventions.
- Conceptual underpinnings in screendance – weaving and layering dance, visual arts, sound and film.
- Screendance Polarities: from Entertainment to Conceptualism: Framing screendance’s multiplicity / enabling its diversity.
- Screendance and the Poetic: Exploring Narrative Intransitivity – Digression, Non-linearity and Diegetic Heterogeneity.
2. Beyond the Image.
- Sensation and embodiment in the encounter between film and performance.
- Time and space: Compression, dilation and experiencing performance on screen.
- (With)holding ephemerality: The challenge of mediatising liveness.
- Countering ocularcentric paradigms: Embracing sound, interaction, kinetic, kinaesthetic and somatic experiences.
3. Genre, Movements, Orientations and Contexts
- Articulating difference: Screendance classification (genre, style, culture and medium).
- Curatorial processes and the challenge of genre typology.
- Investigating curatorial histories, methodologies and intuitions.
- Media archeological trends in screendance practice.
- Towards screendance: emerging choreographic orientations in new media forms.
Proposals for presentations/papers should be emailed in .doc/.docx format only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Fri 30 June 2017. (Note: submissions and discussion on format propositions in advance of this deadline date are welcomed.)
Proposals should be no more than 300 words and must include:
The title of your presentation | A maximum 300-word abstract (including brief description of the questions, concepts and topics you wish to explore and how) | Preferred presentation format/approach | A short biography | Website links supporting proposal, where appropriate.