Light Moves Open Call for Submissions
Light Moves Festival is excited to announce the opening of submissions for our 7th festival taking place 9 – 11th November 2023 in the intimate and culturally vibrant city of Limerick, Ireland, in venues across the city indoors and outdoors.
Celebrating Adventurous Dance, Film & Media Arts, Light Moves Festival presents vibrant experiences bridging dance, new media and screen-based practices that reward and stimulate audiences and artists. We welcome audiences, artists and films from all over the world.
Light Moves invites filmmakers, dance artists, choreographers and visual artists to submit screendance works for consideration for the forthcoming 2023 programme of dance, film and media art with movement as a central focus.
The Festival’s 7th programme of events is developing while reflecting on these words: Noticing, Welcoming, Instability, Degrowth, Dissolving, Expansion and Nature. We are curious how your work might reside in relation to these words as ideas, and how the festival might situate your work as offerings to the public to experience, question and play alongside. You are welcome to include a note with your submission telling us how your work speaks to any of these ideas.
Light Moves will pay an honorarium fee to all works accepted for the Festival 2023 programme. The fee is based on the overall available budget. This will be determined closer to the festival dates. The fee offer is non-negotiable upwards.
This year there are 6 catergories in which you can submit work:
1. Screendance films not exceeding 15 mins duration to be presented in a cinematic context.
2. Screendance films not exceeding 40 mins duration to be presented in a cinematic context.
3. Screendance feature length films over 40 mins duration. This category may include feature length documentary, and narrative or non-narrative film. Please note a limited number of longer films can be selected due to screening time capacity during the festival.
4. Screendance works for Gallery Installation. In partnership with Limerick City Gallery of Art, Light Moves will present a small number of works in a group exhibition. A very limited number of works will be selected in this category. We encourage you to consider thoroughly why your work needs a gallery setting, before choosing this category.
5. Screendance Open Format A seperate Open Call for this category will be announced on www.lightmoves.ie in late January 2023. This category will invite artists’ proposals that go beyond the parameters of screenings and exhibition presentation. Keep an eye on our channels for further information.
6. Student Films in which the director and/or choreographer is a registered student on a course up to and including MA level only during the production of the submitted work. Students can submit works in categories 1, 2 and 3.
Closing Date: Early Bird: 13th March, Deadline: 10th April.
Please read the Rules and Terms carefully before submitting your work.